On the road

It's been almost three weeks since i've hit the road and started my traveling around europe. The once daunting preoccupations with how europe was such a dangerous place are revealing themselves to be nothing more than just my paranoia at work.

Perhaps, biologically, we are predisposed to be afraid of the unknown. To stay alive and to keep to what has been tried and tested. Sure, that may be a winning formula to stay alive, but is merely keeping alive truly living?

Meeting so many new people, getting to places by myself and learning to solve problems that I would otherwise relied upon others to solve for me before. I think i've learned so, so, so much. That all problems can be resolved, once you get over the initial fright of the fact that you are stuck in a crappy situation. To take the first step to talk to others, be genuinely curious about people and what they have to share. It's so much more than just being a tourist. It's not just about getting from landmark to landmark, taking a photo and then leaving. I've realised that the people you meet along the way truly brings so much more to the experience than the places that I've been to.

But of course, the world's a big big place, and Europe is probably just a small corner of it (with lots to offer, I must add) and one month is definitely not enough to see all of it. And most importantly, it is also more than necessary to constantly remind myself that although I've done more than what I've expected to, it's still a lot lesser than what is potentially possible and of course, lesser than what many others have done.

The biggest lesson so far: is that the more I see of the world, the more I realise that there is so much that I don't know.

18 Jun 2012