Are we human or are we student?

Yesterday, in the midst of the flurry going on within the small space outside the exam hall, I had a short chat with a Swede and a Dane. It was just before the exam.


D: This is insane. Look at all these people studying. They all look so stressed.
S: Yes, like as if they are going to be able to improve their grades just by looking at the paper. That's why I'm not stressed it's not going to help.
D: Yes. Back home, like out of the whole class there are probably only three nerds. But here... Just look. [She looks at me and she apologises] Here, everyone has to get an A or die.
Me: It's true.
Elderly Janitor: Girls girls girls... Did you all hear my message... I say must put your bags outside and remember to bring in your matric card, your handphone and your wallet.
Me: [throws my backpack onto the ground and hurriedly remove the items]
D: [To Janitor] What! We have to leave our bags outside? But this is a very expensive bag.
Elderly Janitor: ...


21 Nov 2011