'Hatred is the only emotionally educated reaction to a sterile family environment. It's a destructive and ... painful emotion, perhaps, but I think I must not deny it if I am to keep my family alive in my imagination and my viscera, if not in my heart.' - from The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis
Maybe hating is preferred to a general apathy so constantly exercised that it has become a default sentiment no longer consciously put into practice. Should everything received be considered as an act of kindness or one of duty? And is it then really a personal fault to take for granted what have been taught from a young age to be as givens and ought-to-bes. How am I expected to learn to grow up when I'm not allowed to do so by the very people that expect these expectations. The irrationality of it all perplexes and frustrates me to no end.