Raincoats in the rain

What's our defense now?


We cower in the possibilities of natural disasters and build strongholds to protect ourselves from hazards, and yet we are contradicting enough to create troubled times like these. Will there ever be a right time to be alive?

Shiny, happy people love to think that everyday life's just a series of decisions of to be happy and positive, and sad people are upset because they deserve to be. But it is easy to ignore the rain if you have a raincoat. People who grew up with enough will never understand what it feels like to have so little. To have less than basic and to be thought unfairly to have so much.

On another note, it's National Day. And on this day, I'm always grateful for the relative sanctuary of our safe streets. A practical blessing that I can understand, beyond any scripted national narrative. But if I'm granted a single wish on this day, it is to wish for all those who are undeserving to leave here and go back home.

9 Aug 2011