This December

"Why can't you be like the Happy Prince?" asked a sensible mother of her little boy who was crying for the moon. "The Happy Prince never dreams of crying for anything."
I love December. The feel of the cold air, the gentle zephyr and the wonderful, wonderful smell of Christmas and the holidays. I think I'll really miss December when I graduate from school (just about the only thing I'd miss). Just got back from my morning run, its moments like this that really makes you want to breathe in as much air as you can and makes you feel so glad just to be alive. Its simple pleasures like these that make you thankful for each day you get. =)

Well, just want to share a book that I have read recently. Its a short and simple book- The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde. It's a beautiful book of fairytales, the very stardust that keeps our dreams and imaginations alive. The story of The Happy Prince, unlike the title is a very sad one. There's something real about the kindness and the idea of self-sacrificing that never fails to appeal to me. Haha, strange as it may seem, I actually like fairytales, very much actually. They always make me a little happier after reading them. If you haven't read this, go read it now. =)The real world is a sad place to live in, the terror, the meltdowns and the little insecurities that haunt all of us deep down (whether we want to admit them, or not), if we don't find ways to bring small measures of joy, we will all die unhappy and pathetic. That's why I love fairytales. Not that I'm stupid enough to think that they are real and that some fictional prince awaits on a horse somewhere, but rather that there is some truth in each story that reminds me of the goodness that still exists, just that we are all so caught up with the ugly that we cannot see the good.

It's only a matter of perspective; we only see what we want, we only believe what we want to.

Despite how shady and sad people think me up to be, I'm not the dark and twisted stranger in the school that made me that way. Haha. I guess that's why there are moments of irrationality and the surfacing of the sudden rational side. Can't wait to get out of this hell-hole and throw away the labels that people stick on you. Dang. It's painful just to think about school reopening and saying goodbye to the school holidays. It's true when they say that the good times always seem so short and how good things always come to an end. How. So. Very. Painful. =/

Ha. But then, putting things into perspective, it just means that this is It. The last stretch, the home run that either make or break you. There's no use in thinking about things done and that cannot be undone, no use in crying for things that has yet to happen. We can only think and set our thoughts into action to get the things we want. I love December. I always sound a little wiser this time of the year. Ha. =P

With love,
Xinzi

P.S Wishing everyone the best Christmas of bliss and gratitude. May we all be that happier person we all wanted to be at the start of the year =)

22 Dec 2008