I cannot make myself like school anymore, it is getting harder than ever to drag my sorry self to school each day. But I have also realised that I actually like learning new stuff everyday, I just hate the way the school does it.
This is one gigantic system that needs urgent reforms; good at just churning out all those book-smart worms who can only regurgitate printed knowledge on books but become flailing fodder of the corporate cannon, only to climb up that same ladder with pieces of invaluable certifications of the long, torturous years in the education system.
There are things that are apparent that so urgently need changes because the people are not happy about them, yet no one dares to change because the current algorithm is a winning formula. First-class textbooks, world-class education...who's to challenge the success of the current Singaporean education system? But look at the unhappy faces in classes everyday, feel the pain of the middle-class parents who have to fork out incredulously large amounts of money for tuitions just to ensure their kids do well to break out of that perpetual middle-class cycle, it all just strengthens the very apparent caste system creating an elitist breeding ground. People are forced to study, to get their grades and scramble for a placement in Oxbridge or an Ivyleague college, get a good paying white-collared job so that you don't become an impediment to society's progress. I say, this Society is one unfair cesspit.
I have also since decided, this world is too unfriendly for me to compete in, not to mention, I'm just not good enough. Averageness, is fine by my books now. Ivyleague dreams and any other previous considerations of high-flying jobs have gone to the dumps. My parents think that I am a bum and that I am too stupid for an (I quote) "overseas education" So it might as well be that way, get my A'level certificate, try to do well for it and get into an average, not-too-competitive course at a local university and maybe become a civil servant...say a teacher? Oh haha, that would certainly be irony exacting its revenge on me. Lead a humble, happy life in Singapore watching my cable TV, doing my weekly volunteering, ordering my fastfood deliveries and being able to see my friends when I feel like it sounds quite alright to me.
I have so many things to lament about in this country. I have never said that the country was ran by a perfect party in a perfect way, but friends just love to make it seem that I do. Oh well, concessions have to be made and compromises are necessary, it just seems that being humans we are often caught up in our little own selfish worlds and often take the cop-out stance; be passive and blame the Big Brother.
Bah enough of no-one-is-even-going-to-take-this-seriously-whining, I am just another average student in an average Singaporean junior college waiting to step into the very average-sized pair of shoes that Society has been molding for years.
I am fine by that.
Xinzi
Average is the new Special
5 Aug 2008